SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
avidnester

Will Hostas & Heuchera Survive Being Eaten to the Ground All Summer?

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I planted a new shade bed in spring with lots of hostas, heuchera, astilbe, etc. I have rabbits and deer, not sure which has eaten them all summer, but I've never had this problem so severely & in just one area. It is closer to the woods, but still not far from the house, as our yard is pretty small, just a 1/3 acre. As soon as new leaves grow, they're eaten down to nothing again. They look as if they've been snipped off at the ground with a pair of scissors.

Tried several home remedies, nothing helped. I planted several of the same size small container hostas and heuchera in other areas that were left alone, as well as lots of established hostas & heuchera. I did have problems with several lilies having the leaves eaten down to the bare stalk. These are foundation plantings by the house. I definitely have a young resident bunny that has taken up residence around our foundation this year & I think she's the lily culprit.

I'm wondering though, if the hosta & heuchera plants that have been continually eaten to nubs, will they come back fine next spring, as long as the roots survive? Has anyone had a similar experience?

Comments (3)

Sponsored