SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calliope_gw

What's for Supper?

calliope
15 years ago

A harvest supper tonight. Grabbed a couple young cabbages from the garden, and cleaved them and pitched them into a pot, added a few slices of ham, a shallot or two, some Kosher salt and ground pepper, and it's simmering. Just took out a couple pans of Ozark pudding from the oven, a wonderful old farmer's dessert when you're swimming in apples and into the hot oven went a pan of cornbread. The batter sizzled as I slid it into the hot bacon drippings.

The DH wanted some spuds boiled in with the cabbage, myself I prefer a pan of crispy fried, but I did it his way.

We'll have some homemade applesauce I put up last week from the wonderful, spicy and juicy apples from the mystery tree down in the grotto. I planted it a decade and a half ago, and don't remember the variety, if I ever knew it. But, the last of them are gathered, and they're not long-keepers, so I am pining for next year's crop already. Or, some radishes I picked from the fall garden.

We have fresh Amish butter, homemade strawberry jam or some honey to eat with the corn bread when you're done dipping it in the cabbage and some ice cream for the hot pudding.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
More Discussions