SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rutgers1_gw

the official 'what i learned about seeding this year' thread

rutgers1
16 years ago

OK, folks, after hearing everyone's trials and tribulations over the past few weeks, I am sure that many of you have learned a few pointers that you can share with others for next year. Let's create a MASTER thread that we can bookmark or print for next year.

I'll start:

1) The first thing I learned is the value of topdressing. I am now an official fan of the compost and peat moss topdressing.

2) After trying some overseeding in the spring, and then again in the fall, I now know why people say to wait until the fall. For a northern lawn at least, a spring overseeding isn't worth it.

3) The "seed to soil contact" advice that people give out is GOOD advice. I never realized how important it was until this year. My neighbor and I had nice results with a slit seeder. I would definitely use one of those again.

4) Having followed the board and experimented with my own lawn extensively over the past year, if I have learned one thing, it is that you can never set your clock on how long it will take for your seeds to germinate. Between my own lawn and my neighbor's, I have seen KBG (which apparently usually takes 10-20 days) germinate in less than a week, and I have seen RYE (which can germinate in a few days) germinate in two weeks.

5) I will end with an insight that is something that some might think I am nuts for. I think that rain water encourages germination more than tap water. Over the years, whenever I have gotten fast germination, it has been after a few days of continuous rain. Of course, the reason might not be the quality/nature of the water so much as the fact that a few days of rain doesn't allow the ground to dry at all, while even a 3x-per-day watering schedule will see some drying if the sun is blazing overhead. In the future, though, I am going to try to time all of my seeding for weeks when a nice stretch of rain is forecast.

Comments (10)