SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcarollolaw

New Fall Seeding

Dcarollolaw
11 years ago

Hi ALl,

First time poster here so please excuse my lack of knowledge. I recently renovated the entire lawn (aprox 1 acre at my new home). I reseeded the lawn approx 2 weeks ago. I noticed that grass started to germinate about a week ago. My question is regarding mowing and lime/winter fertilizer application.

I planted a sun/shade mixture with a few different strands of grass seed. When I look at the new lawn I notice that some of the grass is shooting up much quicker than some of the other strains. Should I wait to mow until all of the grass is approx 3 inches high, or just when any of the new grass gets that high? Alternatively, should I not mow it at all until next spring because of the late seeding?

Secondly, I want to do a lime/winter fertilizer application. Should I look to do this toward the end of November/first week of December when the ground freezes up a bit? Or should I not be doing anything and wait until next Spring?

The PH of my lawn is between 5.5 and 6, so I need to get it up a bit for optimal growing.

Also I have an irrigation that is currently watering the grass for 10 minutes in each zone three times daily.

Thanks in advance for your help

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21