SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
soilenthusiast

Trying to get right soil level

soilenthusiast
10 years ago

Hi,

We are doing a home renovation and plan on replacing about 1 foot of soil in the backyard (it's a lot, I know, but there will be lots of construction debris, and we have no idea what kind of contaminants are currently there, i.e. lead, arsenic, creosote, etc.). Former owner had decomposing railroad ties in the back, old garage with lead paint, a welder used to live there, etc, etc.

Since we'll have some lawn and other trees here, I understand that I don't just need topsoil, but also some sort of organic amendment. The soil supplier I spoke with recommended 8 inches of topsoil and then 4 inches of an 80/20 mix (80 percent topsoil, 20 percent organic (washed steer humus, coffee, pine fines, fertilizers)

My concern is that the organic matter in the amendment will decompose and my lawn will settle at a lower level which can cause drainage and foundation issues near the house.

Would it be best to just add 12 inches of topsoil and then mix amendment into the top 4 inches? I'm guessing the level will be higher, but will it eventually settle to the right level? I think it will be difficult to raise the level later since I'll have already planted our sod, plants, etc.

I appreciate any help you can offer. The soil distributor I spoke with didn't really have a clear answer for me.

Thanks!

Comments (2)