SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emyers_gw

Alfalfa Meal vs Dairy Manure.... why choose one over the other?

emyers
15 years ago

OK. My heads officially swimming. Need to back up a little and breathe, maybe even forgo my winter garden & cover crop plans this year etc.

Maybe someone can help me distill all this back down so I can get moving again.

What I'm dealing with:

1. Trying to get a winter garden going NOW.

2. Trying to plant a cover crop in a seperate plot NOW.

3. Trying to build organic matter up in both plots.

4. Trying to build up microbial activity in both plots.

4a. Trying to begin a composting "program".

5. Already have high Phosphorous levels in both plots (concerned about raising this more).

6. Have low Potassium levels in both plots.

7. Land is old sandy farm land that was planted in centipede, That I started reclaiming last spring and turning into a garden.

8. Land has acid ph and acid irrigation water.

9. Would like to do something similar to my lawn (which soil reports indicate has similar requirements).

I'm now considering using either cow manure, or alfalfa meal and Aged pine bark fines. If I use the manure I'll need to let it sit in the garden until spring. Whereas, if I use alfalfa meal and pine bark fines, I can incorporate it now and plant now. With either scenario, I'm still concerned about raising my phosphorous levels up more.

Perhaps a basic question, but, in the grand scheme of things, why would I choose alfalfa meal over dairy cow manure (or vice versa)?

1. I'm assuming that the cow manure would add more organic matter over a shorter amount of time would be the main reason.

2. However, if I incorporate pine bark fines AND alfalfa meal, wouldn't that add similar organic content?

3. I'm also assuming that cow manure would stimulate microbial activity quicker.

Thanks. I'll get around to responding to my other 100 threads soon. Losing brain power.

Eddie

Comments (10)