SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westoh

Richardol's 'stages of additction' - where are you at?

westoh Z6
14 years ago

In the 'Silly Husband' thread, Richardol posted a great list as far as 'stages of addition'. I hope he doesn't mind me posting it here to start this new thread???

Richardol posted the following:

I suspect that Phals should be illegal. They may seem like a harmless decor item and pleasant house plant, but they are a gateway drug to some of the hard stuff such as Sobralia or even *shudder* Angraecum.

The stages of addiction are:

1) That's pretty, I have room on the windowsill for a second plant.

2) Re-arranging furniture to maximize space near the windows. Even adding a light if you can find one that matches the other furniture.

3) Setting up an "Orchid room" with shelves and grow lights, but leaving the bed so it can still be considered a guest room. Having your plants summer outdoors.

4) Getting a greenhouse with water electricity and gas and wintering your plants there, with only a few plants besides those in bloom still in the house.

5) Setting up an eBay account because you realize the greenhouse is filling up with Degarmoara Winter Wonderland 'White Fairy' divisions.

6) Looking at plants for sale, wondering if they are big enough to divide so you can keep half and sell half.

7) Start thinking that there is good money in selling orchids.

Personally, I am not addicted. I could stop and clear out the greenhouse any time I wanted. I just don't want to.

Personally, I'm at stage 3.5: I've moved the bed out of the guest room years ago and put in more shelves and lights and the such. We don't even think of it as a spare/guest bedroom any longer. I've currently only have @40 'kids (mostly seedling species/hybrid paphs), but plan on building up to @75 total within a year. Past experience tells me that if I get back to having more than the @75, it becomes a task and not so much a joy.

What stage are you at?

Bob

Comments (41)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio