SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moby_dog

Orchid confusion

17 years ago

I just bought my first orchid and I looked up as much info as I could from this site's FAQ, ASO's website, the booklet it came with and instead of answering my questions, I got very different answers. These all seem to be reliable sources of info and I realize the care of orchids is not set in stone. So are Phalaenopsis just hardy enough to thrive in varying conditions? I was always under the impression that orchids were very picky and hard to keep.

I have mine in a small greehouse that faces East. The humidity has been around 70-85% during the day. I have a small ceramic heater to keep it above 60F at night but in order to do so, I have to close the doors to keep the heat in. That has been raising the humidity to 100% by morning which I'm assuming isn't good. Outside temps where I live have been about 45-48F at night lately. Can anyone recommend which brand/type of food to get? I know to use 1/4-1/2 the recommended amount but I have differing answers on how often to feed. I've heard Weakly, Weekly and also twice a month. With the water, should the bark dry completely or stay moist. I've heard both answers. Should I mist the leaves AND petals and if so, how often and when? I heard twice a day and also to never let the foliage stay wet all night.

I know that's a lot of questions so I appreciate any help given. Thanks!

Comments (13)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!