SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reds1654

reseeding kbg/rye in northeast ohio - questions

reds1654
10 years ago

I have a 12,000 sf lot that was originally planted with an unknown KBG/RYE blend by the builder in 2011 in Northeast Ohio. The next summer, they came back to do a settlement service and redid the tree lawn and entire back yard. The guy they hired was an idiot and seeded the whole area with Tall Fescue. The Fescue areas look terrible so I sprayed glyphosate last night and want to reseed the entire thing. I am running short on time, so want some input on my plan.

Last night - sprayed glyphosate
Next Weekend
1. Mow and bag dead grass as much as possible
2. Rent a power rake and get up everything I can and bag it.
3. Run the rake again to agitate soil.
4. Lay compost about 1/4" thick. (Planning on 5cy for 7000sf)
5. Lay fertilizer and seed
6. Water, water, water

Seed and fertilizer - The front yard (area the settlement guy didn't touch) looks great. It's a nice fine blend of grass. I want the newly seeded areas to match so am planning to use a blend. I have two options that I see at this point

1) Local landscape supply place has a 50/50 KBG/RYE blend
2) Use Lesco sun and shade mix which is basically 31/31/35 KBG/RYE/Fine Fescue

The yard is basically full sun, there are no shade trees, so I'm worried about the drought resistance of the fine fescues. The 50/50 is cheaper too, but saving $18 bucks isn't the goal here.

Do I need to lay the compost?
Which seed should I use?
Will my raking disturb the soil enough? The front yard grew in fine with no amendments or soil?
What starter fertilizer should I use? Scotts is 24-25-4, Lesco is 18-24-12, Generic Starter is 12-12-12.

Thanks in advance, guys. I appreciate everything

Comments (6)