SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robert_c_finnegan

Reseeding in NJ

Bob
8 years ago

In an earlier post, I mentioned the roughly 2,500 sq ft area that was leveled with fill and a few inches of top soil and then seeded with 2 parts of a kbg, fescue, rye mix and 1 part annual rye. Straw placed over the area and watered 4 times daily for a couple minutes each to keep soil moist.

This was done July 18.

Tapered off the watering to twice daily in the last 2 weeks as the sun is no longer baking the area and the annual rye helped retain some moisture.

Cut the grass twice so far.

It's apparent that, for the most part, nothing but the annual rye sprouted and I'm trying to figure out how best to seed the area again with only the Tri mix of seed.

My biggest concern is that the straw is still "matted" across the top of the soil. I figure if I rake it out, I pull up the still young annual rye. If I leave the straw, the seed may not come in contact with the soil.

Do I have a choice? How best to proceed?

I wish I found this site in early July before doing what I did but, par for course, I'm making up for my own mistakes.

i have another question with regard to overseeing and watering the established portion of the yard but will post separately to help me keep focused

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Comments (25)