SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
twolabs_gw

Tifway Mowing - does it get better?

twolabs
13 years ago

Hi all, i've gotten lots of great help so far on this forum. I sodded my half acre with tifway on 7/31. So far, most of the yard is established and i've been following the bermuda bible. The only thing is, the mowing.

I've been mowing frequently (I have a JD rotary mower), about every 3-4 days. Trying not to take off more than 1/3 of the blade. I've been progressively lowering the mowing height, and its been progressively looking worse after I mow. Right before I mow, the yard looks really great (solid dark green in most spots), and when i'm done...its full of streaks and little half circles where the mower cut too much off. And thats only at about 1 1/2 inch.

My yard is fairly rough, and I just don't know when i'll have time to level out the entire yard with sand....that would take an eternity, but it may come to that. So, i've been experimenting with what height looks okay...and I guess its closer to 2 inches. Obviously, as bumpy as my lawn is...mowing it on 2 inches, some of the yard is probably cut down to 3/4 inch or so.

Another problem is I have several slopes, and mowing it low makes the low side of the mower cut lower and creates an uneven cut. I know these are just drawbacks to a rotary mower, but...i'm not crazy enough about my yard to mow a half acre every other day with a reel mower.

Should I stick with it, and keep it at 1 1/2 for a while until it looks better after I mow? How much am I hurting myself to keep it at 2 inches? It just kills me to mow now, because it looks horrible when i'm done. Thanks again for the help.

Comments (5)