SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nate123_gw

Advice needed- Scalped Bermuda Tifway 419

nate123
11 years ago

I recently purchased a manual reel mower so I would be able to mow my tifway 419 lower than with my rotary. At this point the lowest I am daring to go is 1.25 inches because the builder did such a horrible job leveling the yard before laying the sod, there are areas I would hit dirt I think.

This sod was laid last fall, and I had been maintaining it at about 2.25 inches using a rotary mower until about 15 days ago when I got my reel mower and cut it down to 1.25 inches. It was looking pretty good at 2.25, but I want to do better.

About half of the yard took it pretty well, while the other half looks scalped now (all green cutoff and only stems left). I have mowed it every 3-4 days since, but the parts that are scalped seem to just get re-scalped each time I mow now.

Will those areas learn to grow at the lower height or should I bring the mower up .25 inches or so until next spring and scalp it earlier in the year? My lawn was about 95% greened up when I lowered the height to 1.25 inches. Did I make a mistake cutting it lower at this point in the year? I'm in Austin.

Comments (16)