SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zogmort

Will Tifway419 live with filtered AZ sun?

10 years ago

Hi, I did not find much in the way of information on this in searches, although I have come across lots of really good information about other aspects of lawn care and I thank you all for that.

What I am looking for is more specific information on Tifway419 than just "full sun", those of you who live in Phoenix area can attest to the fact that our indirect sun can be more brutal than lots of place's direct sun. For the sake of example (and a bit of humor) I have small patch of fake grass on the front/south face of my house which looks like it has dead stripes. It turned out that the reflected sun from my upstairs windows were enough extra UV and heat in the summer to melt the "grass" a little, so I had to put shade screens on those windows to keep my fake grass from dying!

So, how much sun IS full sun? Do any of you have Tifway419 on the north side of a building under some tree shade?

The lawn I am putting in is completely from scratch so I have options at this point and would like to not have dead grass from shade spots in my lawn, but also want it to be as nice and soft as possible. I will have a Tipu tree in part of the lawn so that when it gets larger it will be nice and shady for my children in the summer. Also the lawn will be North of my two story house, which only really matters in the winter months when the bermuda would be overseeded anyway because in summer it casts no shadow in my backyard.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, pictures even more so. If this IS a duplicate post I apologize, this is my first forum post ever. :-)

Comments (12)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner