Grass: Bermudagrass (Tifway 419)

Read Bermuda Bible: yes

Irrigation: 1 inch/week, 1 day/week, 4 times during that one day

Mower: Honda rotary

Mowing height: 1.5"

Mowing frequency: 3-4 days

Soil: clay

Mulch/bag: mulch

Fertilizer: 29-0-0 high quality brand (don't remember what brand, but not LESCO)

Last time fertilized: 6 weeks ago

Insecticide: Talstar granules, applied several months ago

I have been taking care of both my front and back lawns rigorously all year, applying a good urea-based fertilizer frequently, watering deeply and infrequently, weeding by hand and everything else one would expect from a high-maintenance lawn care program. Although I've had some trouble with weeds, notably crab grass and spotted spurge, the lawn was looking somewhat decent until a few weeks ago.

I had a problem with spotted spurge several weeks ago, so I applied some 2-4D to the lawn using my garden hose. Although I was careful not to over-apply, it's tricky to figure out just how much is being applied through those bottles that attach to a hose. The spotted spurge has all but disappeared, but now I am faced with a new issue: the lawn just doesn't seem healthy, and in some spots it seems either dormant or dead. After mowing this morning, I went outside and used my Japanese sickle weeder to dig up some of the soil under the worst spots. The soil was bone-dry and powdery, even though I watered deeply less than a week ago. In the lower spots of my yard, as well as along the fence line, the soil was much softer and spongier. Here are several pictures of the good spots and bad spots of my back lawn:

http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/VisualCSharp/Grass%20trouble/

The sod was new last September, but back then I was pretty ignorant of proper lawn care. That, combined with the drought and severe watering restrictions, meant the soil dried out pretty good in spots. However, as you can see from the pictures, much of the lawn looks spotty anyway. This is in stark contrast to my front lawn, which is consistently green and very healthy throughout.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grass trouble

Comments (7)