SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glchen

Organic Vegetable Gardening in Containers?

glchen
14 years ago

Hi, I'm new to this forum and gardening in general. I've read the FAQ, and frankly, I was surprised. I had always thought that organic gardening was not using pesticide/herbicides/fungicides and didn't realize the part about commercial fertilizer. This was my first year gardening in containers, and gardening in the ground is not an option. First, most of my small yard is covered in stone, and the ground that I do have, I don't really trust. Basically, I live in a new housing development that was built over an old naval station. Supposedly all of the toxins, etc have already been cleaned up, but people in the area have still told us that we shouldn't eat anything from what we grow there. So right now, I'm in the process of growing a lot of tomatoes along with some other vegetables (beans, peas, onions, etc) and herbs (basil, rosemary).

For my tomatoes and other veggies, for the most part, I've been trying to use self-watering containers. The soil mix has been Miracle Grow Potting Mix and a fertilizer such as Tomato-tone. I also add dolomite lime or bone meal. I'm assuming the fertilizer is not organic. Right now, I haven't been adding any fertilizer mid-season except sometimes some bone meal when blossoms are forming for the tomatoes.

I'm not trying to sell veggies to the market, but basically just trying to grow healthy food, where I could also give extras away to friends and relatives and say with a straight face that they are organic. So I'm thinking right now what I would need to do to convert my setup to something more organic for next year. I recently purchased a composter, so I'm planning on creating my own compost soon. However, what would be the formula for my mixes for next year? I would want something to be relatively cost efficient of course. (Miracle Grow Organice Potting Mix is very expensive.)

I think Al's mix is currently something like:

The basic mix is:

Equal parts, by volume, of:

Uncomposted pine bark fines

Turface or calcined DE

Crushed granite (Gran-I-Grit .. grower size is best)

gypsum (1 tbsp per gallon of soil)

Do you know if I can modify this somehow to make it organic and suitable for vegetable gardening? Perhaps some mix of pine bark fines, perlite and compost? The reason I'm concerned about compost and earthworm castings is that from what I've read in the Container forum, these cause serious issues with aeration in containers. Basically they are too dense. And if I add organic matter that isn't composted, these will slowly decompose in my container and use nitrogen from the mix that my veggies would need. Also, we haven't even talked about fertilizer, but would the compost contain enough nutrients for tomatoes or even perhaps corn? Also ideally, I'd like to be able to re-use my container mix year after year, with amendments to be cost effective.

Thanks!

Gary

Comments (7)