SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
parupudi_gw

growing Vegetables and organic gardening

parupudi
17 years ago

Hi,

I am new to gradening and last year i tried some vegetables but didn't succeed. I am not sure what went wrong, the fertilizer or pesticides or water.So, this year i want to take it slow and start only a few vegeatbles.

In my backyard, i left about 4 -5 feet of soil for vegeatables while the rest of the bed is all with flowers but spaced quiet apart.I put nice vegetable garden soil in this place for vegetables and also did NOT put any mulch.

I got one Hot Peppers plant and kept it still in the pot. As i still see some rains here and there, i wanted to transplant it only after the rains stop.Otherwise i fear that it will get too much water in the soil and die.

I want to start on Tomato and i am very eager. But is this a good time to start in Houston(Katy), TX?

Should i keep the plants in the pot before transplanting them to the garden soil? And how soon should i do it?

And for the most important question, i don't want to spray my vegeatables with lots of pesticides and insecticides as we have to eat them unlike the flowers.

One of my friend suggested that i plant Garlic in between the vegetables and this will drive away the insects. Is this true?

What are the organic methods for growing Tomatoes and Peppers without using any insecticides and pesticides?

Any kind of compost that i can use to mix in the soil before planting them? Any fertilizer's recommended or are the store bought ones good enough?

Also, can you suggest any of the other (may be 2-3) vegeatables which are easy to grow without lot of time and care? I know Gardening itself takes lot of time and care if you do it on ur own, but as i am also a working mom, i can

only spare so much time everyday and weekend.

Thanks

Comments (6)