SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemisherbal

Organic Container Garden in Athens

artemisherbal
15 years ago

Hello! I'm wanting to start an organic, container garden on my rooftop veranda in Athens. I have LOTS of questions - and would love some suggestions!

* I want to grow vegetables, herbs, strongly aromatic flowers (to mask the city stench), and maybe a citrus tree (lemon or orange?) and olive tree. Any suggestions for varieties that do well in containers in Greece? How about night blooming flowers? (Latin names would be most helpful - since the English common names are not easily translatable to Greek).

* I want to know when I can start planting my veg for fall and winter harvesting. I know it depends on what I WANT to grow, but what veg do well here?

* What about winter gardening in Athens? Are there any plants that are hardy enough to grow outside in the winter, since I'd love to have greenage year-round? What about veg that I could grow in the winter? My apartment is tiny (8 feet by 10 feet), so bringing pots inside over winter is not really an option (but my veranda is huge, so I could maybe create some sort of plastic/greenhouse system).

* I want to create a living screen in the southwest corner of the veranda. Any suggestions for a fast-growing, vining plant that I can trellis to create a screen? Something evergreen would be wonderful, so it will still give privacy in the winter.

* Also, does anyone have suggestions for greenhouses/shops in Athens where I can get organic seeds, soil, and plant starters? Also, English-speaking proprieters would be extremely helpful (even if they don't sell organic products, I'd love to know somewhere local that I can go ask questions in English.)

OK - that's a start. I'd love any suggestions, resources, or thoughts anyone may have! Thank you!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths