SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gottso

My yard revamp / Sod install

Gottso
16 years ago

I love seeing people's progress through pics, so I figure I will share my backyard revamp I did last spring. ( I apologize if the pics are too big and load slowly. I see the forums call for pics under 100kb, however taking at 5M, the pics would be too small, imho, to view.)

My plan was to dig out 4 inches of topsoil and replace with screened organic topsoil. When I started to dig...I "found" remnants of an asphalt driveway, concrete walkway and a brick patio that were about 2 inches under my old soil (no wonder nothing was growing in my yard!).

For those wondering what 20 cubic feet of topsoil looks like.

{{gwi:116137}}

My daughter [and brother in law] climbed up the hill, for reference.

{{gwi:116138}}

Unfortunately, the two days prior to me renting the frontloader, it rained pretty hard, which lead to the tires ripping up the yard. Trust me when I say that trying to manually level MUD is NOT FUN!!

{{gwi:116139}}

This is the yard after the topsoil was placed and leveled the best I could get it to be.

{{gwi:116140}}

Here is the sod mid-install. My dog took a liking to it right away and passed out before I could get half of the sod down. Notice how "ungreen" it is. Needless to say, I didn't know what to expect as far as color and was pretty nervous at how "shoddy" it looked.

{{gwi:116141}}

A pic of the grass before the first cut. This pic is about 2 weeks after the one above it. It greened up pretty nicely.

{{gwi:116142}}

And the final pic just after the first cut. I wish I had a pic before I started my revamp to compare.

{{gwi:116143}}

All together, the project was HUGE undertaking! I did all the work myself, except for the leveling of the dirt, which my brother in law helped with. I also hand dug trenches for an irrigation system and laid the pipe for it, but never got it off the ground.

Taking the old dirt out, while placing the new dirt down took all day, about 9 hours. Leveling took about 2 days due to rain. Laying the sod took me about 10hours by myself [thankfully it was cool out!].

Next project is my front yard. I just got hit with grubs and my grass is taking a big hit between that and the last heat of the summer 2 weeks ago. My seed from wls just came in, so I'm excited to get started on it today [eventhough I am a little late].

Comments (4)