SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deirdrelouisville

Landscaper botched sod installation, how to fix?

deirdrelouisville
14 years ago

Hi All, I have just had a small, sloping front yard sodded, but I fear it wasn't done correctly. The landscaper tilled the old weedy lawn, but did not level or compact the soil down prior to installing the sod. The new sod is green, beautiful and weed free.

But, it isn't level. When I pull a piece back I can see dips of 2 or 3 inches all over the place. The soil also pushed down very easily. Also, the yard was not graded and the lawn now sits up quite a bit higher than the walkway so that soil runs down on the front walk when I water.

The sod was just installed yesterday. The landscaper seems to think this is the way sod is installed (he has 20 years experience). My fear is that the lawn will stay bumpy, in fact, as the sod settles, I fear it may get even bumpier.

I have not paid the balance (total bill was $1700 to install two 8' by 20' median strips and a lawn area of about 40' x 15'. The contract calls for "tilling, regrading and installation of fescue sod".

Advice? Is there anyway to fix this short of resodding? Is it reasonable of me to insist the landscaper take the sod back up, level the ground and reinstall?

Comments (9)