SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poravelston

rotting grass clippings and 'clipping tea'- safe or diseased?

poravelston
18 years ago

I had a bunch of clippings in a wheelbarrow that got totally drenched with rainwater. They've been sitting, rotting for days and now smell so bad I've got to do something with the mess ASAP! I took the clippings out and spread them on a tarp to dry out some and was gonna dump the water but then realized it is prob. incredibly rich in a lot of stuff, topmost nitrogen. My questions...

1. Any reason not to use the wet clippings in the garden? I'm thinking between my tom's. And the water? My uncertainty is in case there's a chance there's some sort of fungus or other type of bad stuff that would then spread disease, since they've been sitting so long, smelling so bad and becoming pond water. The clippings weren't sprayed, but I noticed some sort of little white specks all through the water when I got 'em out. Don't know what those were... So, are the clippings and water dangerous or much to be treasured??

2. Any thoughts or suggestions on what might most appreciate the water, given the time of year and the fact that it should be pretty high in nitrogen? I've got flowers of all sorts (but all they need is more N!!) and various standard veg.- what would most benefit??

Thanks a ton- and from the noses around here, too! This stuff's gotta go! ; )

Comment (1)