SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetgreen_gw

picking up other peoples grass clippings...

sweetgreen
16 years ago

I have a mainly cold compost pile. I don't turn often and don't chop small, etc. It sets there and does its thing and a year or two later I shovel the dirt-looking stuff around. I like low maintenance.

But this year I have started picking up grass clippings, on the order of 4-8 bags/week. And I'm thinking about what 'evils' I might be bringing home with me - herbicides, diseases, fungus, weed seeds, I don't know. Would it be of any benefit, or maybe detriment, to leave the bags out in the sun for a few days to cook and kill whatever evil might be in there, before I add it to my pile? The smell of rotting grass is not a detriment to me, I don't care and neighbors are way too far away to care.

Is it just heat that kills weed seeds and breaks down chemicals, or is it the decomposing (that just happens to occur at higher heat) that does the killing?

Soon I'm hoping the mix in the bags will turn into leaves and grass - will this make any difference to my idea of sun-cooking-in-bag before adding to the pile?

Thanks!

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!