SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenerzone4

Worst things to come out of other people's yard waste

gardenerzone4
12 years ago

Well, since leaf season is about 2 months away, I thought I'd start a thread on the worst things you've ever introduced into your garden from bags you've picked up of other people's yard waste (OPYW).

I pick up 1000+ bags of OPYW every fall and use it mainly as mulch for my gardens or as a topdressing on my lawn to be mown in.

Last year, my worst pick-ups were:

-- Bags that had rocks in them--it was dark and I'd spread the contents on my lawn before realizing that I now had hundreds of little rocks to pick up before my mower could move in.

-- A bag containing a dead rabbit and others containing dog poop, which I had also spread without realizing it

-- A bag containing HUNDREDS of acorns that I also spread in the dark on my rose bed without realizing it. We've been pulling hundreds of oak seedlings this entire year from that bed.

Please share your WORSTS, and also whether you have any tips/techniques for determining if a tempting bag left at a curb is a goldmine or a disaster waiting to happen. (It's kind of like buying a melon, isn't it? You never know what you're going to get.)

Comments (34)