SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jey760

Easiest/cheapest way to get rid of large yard waste?

jey760
14 years ago

We recently bought a house with a seriously neglected yard. We are basically ripping everything out of the front yard to make room for a veggie garden (as it's the only area that gets any sun.)

Most of what we're ripping out are evergreen bushes, and there are a LOT of them. There are a couple really large ones about 4' in diameter and 10' tall; the rest are just a couple feet high, maybe 6' wide, and run about 30' around the front yard. And that's not even mentioning all the trees we've trimmed and the huge laurel that we're slowly cutting back...

Our budget is pretty maxed, so I'm trying to figure out the cheapest way to get rid of this stuff. I can have the waste management service bring a dumpster out, but that will run me a minimum of ~$300. I can rent a shredder/chipper for about $100/day which is much cheaper, but my other question is- would you want to use evergreen bushes as mulch, or would that be too acidic to put on a garden bed? Also, if I go that route, I'm going to spend a LOT of time cutting them up into small enough pieces to go into the chipper.

I already have a few piles of other large yard waste (branches from trees and an overgrown laurel) in my backyard, so there isn't any more space to just let this stuff sit on the property and rot.

Any other ideas that I'm missing on how to get rid of this mess?

Thanks!

Comments (18)