SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1111gd1111

Fall lawn project advice needed (long post)

Boy...I'm not quite sure where to start. I guess I'll start with some facts (in no particular order):

1. House is newer and lawn is 3 years old. We have lived here 3 months.

2. Have 66,000 sq. ft of lawn (measured it)

2a. No idea where lawn seed came from. Best guess is it's ~40%+/- KBG with fescues and ryegrass.

2b. Obvious that previous owner DID NOT use a spring pre-emergent (crabgrass) as about 6 weeks ago the crabgrass just exploded.

2c. The lawn quality in the front of the house isn't bad, but the back is somewhat thin.

3. Live in NW Wisconsin zone 4a

4. House is in the country and is surrounded on 3 sides (and across the road)by fields consisting of corn, soybeans and fieldgrasses.

5. Soil is very sandy....VERY sandy!

5a. Looks as if the previous owner had very little to no top soil brought in.

6. Do not have sprinkler system now but maybe in the future.

7. Watering the lawn is not a problem. Have well with constant pressure pump system and "pump and dump" geothermal system and I use the geo water when the AC is running.

8. Up until last week I was mulching at 2.75" and are now bagging. I have a feeling I may have spread crabgrass seed in the mulching process(?). I wanted to start bagging anyway in preparation for the fall project.

8a. I'm betting that the lawn was never aerated.

9. Money is tight so for example...I'm not going to by my favorite fertilizer = Scott's. Have to go with something less expensive.

What I have done in the 3 months I've been here:

1. Ortho WBG w/crab control just after we moved in and again in the past week.

2. Starter fertilized a few smaller areas to encourage some growth. I did this before the heat set in mid-June

My goals are:

1. Improve the overall appearance and quality of the lawn

2. Eliminate as much crabgrass as possible

3. While I would like to have the perfect weed/crab free lawn (I've had them before) with the fields around me this just is not an option I'll be able to afford.

So I'm thinking the following:

1. Aerate (but when?)

2. Fall (September) then November fertilizer application

3. Topdress

4. Overseed w/slitseeder

With so much lawn (and the $$) I'm thinking of only doing 1 and 2 this fall. Then 3 and 4 next spring. If I do it this way when should I aerate?

I know you folks will recommend a soil test. I'd think I'd need 2 (or more?) to get a good feel as to what I'm facing BUT....I'm afraid the tests MIGHT show that I need to spends $$ I don't have to get the soil quality to optimum levels. In previous houses this wouldn't be an issue but I'll be happy with "good".

I'll take some pictures of the lawn and post later.

Thanks to all for your thoughts!

Comments (5)