SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

It feels like a poorly written soap opera.

gandle
16 years ago

Our neighbor, I'll call her Joyce, is a semi-invalid widow and just barely able to live alone, Leone and I do her yard work and help with chores she can't manage. Her SIL, her husbands sister, has bad mouthed Joyce for years for no reason anyone can discern. This SIL, I'll call her Pearl, is in the first stages of alzheimers but capable of taking care of herself with minimal supervision from a neighbor. Everyone has been urging Pearl to go to a care center for some time but to no avail. Yesterday afternoon she showed up at Joyce's with a package of half rotten hot dogs and some extremely moldy buns and announced she was going to spend the night and she brought dinner. Mind you, she hasn't spoken to Joyce for years. Joyce managed to make a meal for them and Pearl went into a bedroom and laid down for the night. Joyce called Pearl's daughter who lives about 300 miles from us and told her about her mother, the daughters reply, "Oh, mom will be O.K., she just need to be home with a little more supervision". Joyce then called her own son who lives about 50 miles from us, asking for advice and help. His reply,"get Leone and George to talk to her and see if they can't take her home and talk to her".

About 9A.M. this morning we went over and knocked, Pearl answered the door and asked if we had come about the stolen patio furniture. We have no idea what she was talking about but we greeted her and began talking about inconsequential things and she began to reply sensibly. I then told her we thought we would gived her a ride home because it was such a long walk and quite warm. She accepted and she and Leone talked all the way home, it didn't always make a lot of sense but she at least was willing to do what we suggested.

I think the problem with the way they are handling her is that they immediately try to correct her when she says something weird. We just agree and change the subject and she usually goes along with us.

Leone is at this time writing a rather hot letter to Pearl's daughter and urging, almost demanding that she come out and see that her mother gets some supervised care. Leone began the letter, "Robin, for God's sake, she is your mother get your a$$ out here and take care of what has to be done and do it quickly before she is injured or worse". We'll see if that gets any action, if not I believe that some agency would step in and do it. Pearl is really quite well off and can afford good care.

We would really rather stay out of this but I will not stand by and see that woman come to harm by someones negligence.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions