SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
houserookie2

Research: Samsung 448, Charlies soap, Seventh Generation, Vinegar

houserookie
14 years ago

I had my set delivered this past Thursday, from Best Buy. The installers were very nice, but I had to ask for them not to remove the shipping bolts out on the driveway, and remove them once the washer was inside. I had to call the store later in the day, because they had not leveled the washer properly, and it was rocking during spin cycle. The VTR system kicked in, stabilizing it, but the washer needed to be leveled. They came the next day and fixed the problm in 2 secs and then I did some serious laundering!

The washer uses very little water. I was skeptical at first, thinking: No way the clothes will come out clean But to my surprise, there is frequest spraying of the clothes throughout the wash cycle, and the clothes are tossed, turned & tumbled way more than on a TL, just without being beaten by a plastic stick that often tear your clothes.

Equipment & set-up: Washer and dryer Samsung 448, on concrete subfloor, on 1st floor laundry room.

Here are the results:

Thursday  1st load:

Items:

- 2 king size fitted sheets

- 2 king size flat sheets

- 6 king size pillow cases

Products:

- Soap: Seventh Generation Soap  powder

o 1 table spoon to pre wash

o 2 table spoons to wash

- White vinegar in FS compartment

o ½ cup

Washer Settings:

- Cycle: Bedding

- Silver Care

- Steam

- Pre Wash

- Extra Rinse

- Total time 1:58 min

Dryer Settings:

- Cycle: Towel (Not enough/not appropriate)

- Added 20 min in High temp

Results:

- Clothes came out of the washer looking very clean

- No soap or vinegar smell (no smell at all)

- 2 TBS of SG soap to wash cycle was too much, not all the soap was dissolved in the soap compartment

- A few spots were still moist after the towel cycle in the dryer, likely due to not appropriate cycle, IÂm still learning which cycles go with what loadsÂ

- After 20 min in high temp, the sheets were grat

- No significant balling/tangling of the sheets

- No significant wrinkling (cpmpared to my old dryer)

- Amazing difference between this load and a previous load of sheets of the same fabrik. The "old load" that was in the linen closet, was very stiff, rough, and dull. The "new load" was very soft, fluffy, bright colored, and looked clean and fresh.

- Overall: very impressed

Friday: 5 loads

Various settings from sanitize to Heavy dudty, to normal and delicate; with and without pre wash, extra rinse. Multiple combination of cycle features.

5 Loads:

- 20 items from DH (dark colored load: mostly long sleeved XL shirts, a couple of XL pants, a few XL short sleeved shirts, and a couple of jeans);

- 30 white XL undershirts;

- Full laundry basket of baby clothes;

- Light colored menÂs clothes (full laundry basket), including a couple of pants, but mostly shirts

- Another dark colored load, simmilar to first load (shirts, jeans, pants)

Products:

- CharlieÂs Soap - powder:

o 1 TBS to wash

o ½ TBS to pre wash when this option was selected

- White vinegar in FS compartment

o ½ cup

Results:

- Very satisfied with all loads, except the load of white shirts

- Clothes came out looking very clean and soft, colors looked brighter (not lighter, but more vivid)

- Clothes were warm after running warm or hot cycles

- Overall: Very impressed, highly recommend the W/D. Both soaps performed well, but I still need more time to fully analyze them more thouroughly. As far as vinegar goes, the results on the sheets were very good, but IÂm not sure if vinegar had anything to do with what happened to the load of white shirts.

What happened to the load of white shirts: funky armpits!

I had 30 XL cotton white T-shirts, some were dingy, some stained, most were fairly new and white, a few were very old. I set the washer to sanitize (which goes to 150 deg), steam, silver care, pre wash, & extra rinse; CharlieÂs soap, and vinegar. When the cycle was over, I noticed that the armpits of the old shirts were very stiff and stained, like it had been starched. So I separated them from the others. I will be re-washing them later. There was a significant improvement on stains, the newer shirts were very white and soft after they were dry.

IÂm not sure if the vinegar reacted with the deodorant residue and made it into glue, or what. The areas are very stiff and grayish colored. I hope this will improve with the next wash. Thankfully, this happened to about 5-6 shirts only, mainly the older shirts.

Conclusion on combined performance of W/D CS, SG soaps, & vinegar:

- Washer rating: 5 stars (Performance, cycle options, ease of use, capacity, and looks)

- Dryer rating: 5 stars (Performance, cycle options, ease of use, capacity, and looks)

- Favorite load so far: load of bedding

- Least favorite load: white shirts (still working on this one - trying to solve problem of armpits)

- Favorite soap: still researching, but I like both soaps so far, no smells left on clothes

- Use of white vinegar: investigating possible reaction with deodorant residue, causing armpits of old white shirts to become stiff and gray.

I will continue to report on the loads and the performance of the W/D, and the CS and SG soaps, and vinegar  and any other product that I find and decide to use.

Will research next: performance of CS & SGS on various stains such as catchup, mustard, food stains, grass, etc.

Comments (6)