SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meldy_nva

Digital Memorties are not forever

meldy_nva
17 years ago

For several years, I've been reading various articles about the fallibility of digital storage. Not that digital storage of photos, letters, etc will get lost due simply to being in digital format, but that the information won't be accessible in the future because the accessing format has changed. Rather like reading the Rosetta stone... the info is there but we can't figure out what it says.

I bumped into this conundrum in the 80's when the office changed from using a wonderful program called WordPerfect over to Microsoft's Word. In less than two years, reports and evaluations which had been written in WP required special formatting programs and much re-writing to be useable in Word. It didn't take a lot of thinking to realize the same situation was guaranteed to re-occur simply because of what I call the Jones' New Car Syndrome... somebody comes out with a new program and simply because it's new, everyone wants to buy/use it. Eventually no one is driving the original but sturdy old VW (or WP), and you can't even find parts for it.

Which makes me wonder if I'm the only one who is saving memories, photos, records on hardcopy - oops- on paper rather than on disk, CD, DVD, etc. In the past year, did you save your information

a) only in digital format

b) only if it was on paper

c) both, but just because that's the way they were

d) both, deliberately so as to be prepared for whatever happens.

Here is a link that might be useful: 3-20-07 Librarian of Congress on digital storage

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
More Discussions