SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
organic_woodland

Organic lawn care

organic_woodland
16 years ago

Hi Folks, I'm new here, glad to be on board! I originally posted this on the Going Green forum, but this seems like a more appropriate forum. My wife and I purchased our home 2.5 years ago. It came at the end of the worst drought in almost 20 years and the yard had taken a serious beating. I'm trying to transition it to an organic lawn with little success. I've been dropping the clippings and using commercial organic lawn fertilizers with little noticeable results, perhaps I'm just used to the fast green-up of chemical products. Over the past few years the smooth crabgrass has really started to take over, and the front yard (southern exposure with no shade) has thinned out. I'm going to try and get the crabgrass under control with the Agra-lawn natural crabgrass killer (which is intended for St. Augustine lawns but is known to work on northern lawns), then trying to get it to thicken up with a natural fertilizer before the summer heat kicks in. I've tried Ringers, Scotts, Neptune's Harvest fish fertilizer with little noticeable results. This year I'm going to try Terracycle Lawn Food, a concentrated liquid worm tea, followed by a Kentucky Bluegrass overseeding. I'm going to try an experiment in the back yard in a few weeks and do some test patches of the different natural fertilizers and see if I can notice any results. The contestants are: Terracycle Lawn Food, Blood Meal, Alaska Fish fetilizer, and maybe some bat guano. Suggestions anyone?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor