SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plaf975

Trying to recover from a mistake - HELP!

Plaf975
11 years ago

So I moved into my house in October and there was a 12'x12' plot next to the lawn that was teeming with overgrowth, wild grass, brush, etc. I had no idea what I wanted to do with the plot, just that I wanted to kill off the eyesore. So on one half of the plot I used Roundup where the brush was lighter and Ground Clear on a thicker area. After months thinking about what to do next (and reading ideas in this forum) I decided to build a raised garden bed on that area to grow veggies (bell peppers, spinach, kale, lettuce). But I now regret using the Roundup and GroundClear. Is there any way I can do this and still make it work as an organic garden without fear of the chemicals in either product? There's been 50+ inches of snow this winter, so am I crazy for thinking the melt has "cleansed" the soil to some degree? Can I lay down cardboard or a mat and then put the 8-10" of soil in the bed and have a "barrier" between the plant roots and the soil I sprayed? Sorry if this sounds stupid but I'm a newbie at this!!

Comments (18)