SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nvl4

Help! My lawn needs to recover from years of neglect.

NVL4
9 years ago

I posted this on the organic lawn forum as well. We have young children, a dog and live on the edge of a wetland are with a little stream that runs behind us ( and our property slopes to this stream). I really want to avoid chemicals if I can.

From the Organic Lawn Care post:

Hi
We bought our house last winter. It was a rental several years before we bought it and the lawn is in need of some TLC. It is Bermuda grass, which is what most people in the area have, and our soil is sandy loam. We live SE of Raleigh and are Z8, possibly Z8b. Of course it's dormant now, but the weeds sure aren't. I understand now would be the time to apply a chemical to kill the weeds. I prefer not to do that, even though everyone in our area does. I know the lawn needs to be thickened and strengthen but I don't know what steps to take now to help. We have several issues that even I can see, probably many more.

The grass is very thin, practically bare, in some sunny areas.
There are weeds (our yard is large).
We have voles and grubs
There seem to be different strains of grass, some seem 'weedy' looking and have thick blades.
We have some crab grass.
We have bare spots from the shade. I think we just need to call these 'gardens' and spread with pine straw. Currently the Hubs mowes it to get to the tufts of grass and seemingly .." Just because"... in some areas.
I need to fix the spot where the dog pees. I try to get him to dufferent spots, but he is old. Can I ammend the soil to counteract the urea?

Any advice on any of these problems would be appreciated.

I am also curious. Sometimes I find a grub or two just laying on the top of the grass, like it either dug it's way up and emerged or was dug up ny a bird or something and abandoned. Any ideas why this happens? I am not catching a glimpse of a bird flying off.

Thanks!

Comments (24)