SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mike_13

Please help me fix my lawn care mistakes - burnt/thin spots every year

Mike_13
7 years ago

I know I recently started a similar thread in „Organic Lawn Care“ section but I’m starting a new one because I need general tips on lawn care (especially spring care, now that it's spring).

I’m not complete newbie when it comes to the subject - I know about mowing at the proper height, mulching, deep watering etc. I must be doing something wrong though because my lawn often looks far from perfect:

• It gets burnt in sunny areas in my backyard. It’s usually nice, deep green and lush until summer. Then the heat comes burns massive spots in my lawn and I revive it during fall. Deep watering doesn’t seem to work at all. Please note that I live in Poland - it does get hot during summers, but it’s a country with temperate climate!
  • It’s not lush in my front yard. It’s thin, dry and pale green under my pine tree. Next to my house (shaded, humid area), it’s mostly moss. Please note that the soil in my front yard has lots of peat moss in it. Maybe this adds to the problem?

It’s been like this for 3 consecutive years. My lawn is mostly perennial ryegrass.

I think last spring my mistake was that I fertilized with soybean meal too early, delivering too much nitrogen.

This year, I haven’t fertilized yet and I’m thinking I should until mid-May before I fertilize (am I right here?). So far, I have mowed and dethatched my lawn and I’m waiting for my soil test results.

How should I change my approach this year? Is there anything else I should do now? I have access to a verticutter, all kinds of fertilizers, compost, I can even swap to a reel mower. The only thing I can’t do is proper core aeration. I swear nobody around here has heard of core aerating.

Thanks for your help!

Comments (3)