SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ticodxb

raised bed mixed with native soil (sand)

ticodxb
13 years ago

Hi, I'm a newbie here and have just started trying to grow some carrots and tomatoes this year. well, I did try tomatoes last year but I was way too late and the heat came in and killed the plants while still really young...

We are going to be building a new home (it might be a year or two away still) and I want to start practicing growing veggies/fruits now and also researching about how to make a garden for our new home. Right now my practice is by growing everything in pots (we only have a teeny tiny garden that is already full)

I am trying to convince my husband to get fake grass for our new home because it will need a lot of water to keep green--especially here in Dubai in the summers (that last for like 7 months). I told him I would rather try to make a rather large garden and we can use all the water for that.

Mind you, fake grass is very expensive but I think trying to keep a lawn watered and a big garden watered will end up being more expensive over the years.

So for the garden... we will have a plot of land right next to ours that most likely no one in the family will build on for at least a decade, if not longer. I would like to create a huge raised bed or several medium-large sized raised bed gardens on this land for some organic gardening.

The plot of land is compacted pure desert sand.

I want the raised beds to be open on the bottom so that roots can grow into the grounds also. But don't know if that is ok...

If I wanted to do it this way should I dig up several feet of the desert sand and mix it with regular soil/potting mix? Then for the raised bed/s, is it ok if I mix store-bought regular soil with desert sand(there is plenty of desert sand over here to get and it is free--the soil will be expensive to fill the size of raised beds I am thinking of)?

The reason why I want to do raised beds like this is because I know it takes a few years to make the garden soil rich and healthy and by the time someone wants to build a house on the land I would like to be able to take the soil (if I can successfully make it rich and healthy) to use elsewhere.

Also, will I be damaging any foundation of a future home by creating a raised bed garden garden this way (allowing roots to grow into the ground)?

Comments (26)