SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
herkster5

New lawn seeding and overseeding

Herkster5
9 years ago

Hey everyone, I'm new here and I've got a question!
I reside in northern Iowa, so, we get pretty average moisture, tough winters, and mid/late summer can get very, very hot and dry.

With that said, I had two rows of dead pine trees that I've recently cut down and proceeded to dig the stumps out as well. After that, we brought over a cultivator and ripped the ground, and next is to take the drag over it to smooth it off as much as possible.

I'm wondering what type of grass is the best to plant in late summer / early fall. The Iowa State Extension office shows that a Kentucky Blue Grass with a mixture of Ryegrass is what is recommended. I'm planning on seeding after our next warm spell, which is next week.

Will this mixture work?
I also need to overseed several spots on my lawn which I have done some renovation on. Is the same mixture okay? I do have access to water and can put a sprinkler out to help get the grass established.

I'm just looking for some guidance. Techincally, I have 3.5 acres, probably 2.5 acres to overseed and a half acre to seed to new lawn. The new lawn will get a row of bushes and two rows of trees (my wind/snow block) this fall as well.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance!

Comments (29)