SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drnuke

Power seeding vs. full renovation (tear out and seed)

drnuke
13 years ago

I have a serious crabgrass overgrowth issue on my lawn. I spoke with a few of the local companies to see how to handle the treatment. Here are the two plans of attack that I was proposed, and I want to know what you suggest I do:

1. The first guy wants to roundup my crabgrass and weeds, tear out the debris after it's all dead, and apply seed, fert, and compost with netting on top. Then he wants to aerate and seed the areas that have not been affected by the crabgrass. This guy also won't do my backyard because he said that I could probably do it on my own since it isn't in as bad of shape.

Sq Ft - ~2500 Full renovation, tear out, seeding, and netting and ~1500 aeration and overseeding

Price - $1000

2. The second guy wants to roundup my entire lawn, then come in after it is completely dead, apply lime, fert, and power seed without tearing up the crabgrass, fescue, weeds, etc. He claims that by keeping that layer of dead grass/weed, it will be fine because it will just decompose into organic matter in the soil. He thinks his method is better than guy #1 because power seeding gives full soil contact with the seeds.

Sq Ft - ~6000 roundup, liming, powerseeding.

Price - $650

The only remaining option is for me to roundup the areas with weeds or crabgrass and reseed myself. It's probably about 4000 square feet of lawn space (total of 6000 sq ft, so 2000 is healthy fescue) that is affected and needs to be replaced. So I was considering rounding up the bad spots, tearing out the dead matter and fertilizing, liming, sowing, and adding compost myself. Labor intensive, but I am willing to do so myself ... yet I am very inexperienced with this type of work, so I would need to research how to do it and get some guidance.

So what do you suggest? 1, 2, me doing it, or another option?

Thanks

Comments (14)