SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrcorey5

Lawn boy battery?

mrcorey5
16 years ago

I just picked up an older lawnboy. It is a 8241ae series with electric stsrt and self propelled. It is still in great shape and I have always had great luck with the 2 stroke motors. .this is the first one that I have owned with the electric start option. It did not come with the battery. I was wondering if it uses a 6v or 12v and are they expensive and or hard to find.

Comments (31)

• echoman
    16 years ago

12 volts about $50.00-Lawn Boy 2 cycle mowers are fun to own and operate. Congrats on the find!

• mrcorey5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks echoman, I now have a battery and a new problem (sorry to keep picking you brain) When I hooked up the battery,it seemed to have a short in the electrical system. I pulled the top off and unplugged a componet that was next to the flywheel, not the coil. It starts now. But what did I unplug? was it a generator for the battery?

• Related Discussions

Lawn Boy R8035AE Electric Starter Motor

Q

Comments (1)
    If you have any electric motor repair shops in the area they can sometimes help. Or see if one from a newer model will work. I have a 10545 which is newer and I'll bet that starter would fit with some minor modifications maybe to the connector or something. Go to the Lawnboy master parts viewer and compare you're starter and a 10545 starter. Here is a link that might be useful: master parts viewer
    ...See More

Need a running lawn-boy for my son

Q

Comments (4)
    I agree. Many of the lawns I cut as a kid the customer had the mower. Usually you will find they have one. As a kid it is much easier to ride a bike over then lug a mower over. For the customers that do not have or would prefer to have him not use theirs he can use the "parts mower". Not having to deal with a two cycle machine might be easier as well. A good used Toro or Honda IMO or a reliable self propelled 4 stroke would be a better machine than an old pieced together Lawn-Boy. DonÂt get me wrong, I grew up with LBÂs and have a soft spot for them but there are much better choices that would be more reliable and easier to deal with as a kid.
    ...See More

LawnBoy 10641 Brand New won't Start Lawn Boy

Q

Comments (5)
    skane; please give us a break on the Husky commercials. This problem has nothing to do with Lawn-Boy or Toro - it's something about that batch of B&S engines, which have been known as solid performers since the first power mowers. I think anyone with one of the 'Insight' mowers (which Toro is phasing out of Lawn-Boy and painting red) has a solid mower. These new LB models Toro has put in Home Depot are about as cheap as a decent mower can be, even though they incorporate features of the LB 'Insight' and the Toro 'Recycler'. With the usually reliable B&S engine, they should sell very well for Toro. I cannot imagine what is happening with the B&S engines. lb2009; if you haven't already taken it back, review the owner's manual for starting procedures and see if you're not doing something. These new B&S engines are supposed to have an automatic choke, so there's no manual choke or primer. My guess is there's an adjustment problem with that cold-enrichment system.
    ...See More

bi-centenial lawn boy

Q

Comments (5)
    As others have mentioned, Ebay is a very good indicator of the true market value for many things including lawn mowers. If your friend is looking to sell this as a collectible lawn mower and make some money he should remember that condition counts a lot to collectors. Collectors of lawn mowers (and anything else) are sometimes willing to pay a lot for an oldie in mint condition. Once the item has been used the value plummets. The mower you describe is well used.
    ...See More
  • indy452
    16 years ago

Yes that is the alternator.

I'm not sure why it wouldn't start with it plugged in though.

Looks like you've got some wire tracing to do huh? All the grounds attached?

Where in KS are you?

Neal

• mrcorey5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I live in Topeka, As far as the wiring, it looks ok but I havn't checked every inch. Basically it acts as if there is a dead short when the alternator is plugged in. The battery connector will spark like heck and get warm.Is there a specific ohm reading I should get if I check the red & white wire coming off the alternator? Are alternators still availible?

• indy452
    16 years ago

I'll bet the alternator is shot if the wiring looks ok.
    They should still be available. I ran one without for a long time, You just need to recharge the battery more often.

I'm too far west of you to know any good dealers or techs out in Topeka.

I don't know about the sparks and ohm readings though, maybe someone else will chime in.

Good luck with it.

Neal

• mrcorey5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Beleive it or not I found this mower at a garage sale with a free sign on it.My girlfriend wasn't crazy about the idea of me taking the chance of scratching up the paint by hauling it it the trunk of her car but I wasn't about to let it sit there while I went to get my truck.Anyways, it mows great, sounds great, starts easy,and it's a 2 stroke L-B.I do want to get it back its original condition. It came with the original charger but it looks like rats nibbled on the cord (fixable). I am having trouble though finding the alternator online.I'm glad the starter is in good shape, seems how one will set you back $250. Hope the alterator isn't going to set me back that much!

• echoman
    16 years ago

The alternator you need is part #683092-still available for around $60. I just restored my 7271AE (1984) and retroed it with a top recoil to back up the battery. Yours is a 1984-85 depending on serial number. Your has the casptan self propelled feature, mine does not.

• mrcorey5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

THANK YOU MR. ECHO! The part # was a great help to the local part idiot. I should have my new one in 2 -3 business days.I have owned a few L-B's but have never knew what the HP is of my motor, or what series such as d400 or what. I am a true gearhead and thats why I appreciate the simplicity and durabillity of the 2 stroke lawnboys. Also I am 99% my deck is cast aluminum, not magnesium, am I right? Also ther is a local small town that is throwing a town garage sale, is there any certain L-B's that are aspecially sought after?

• echoman
    16 years ago

From one "gearhead" to another, yes, it's an aluminum deck. Some collect many different models. It's all in the eye of the beholder so to speak if you feel you must have a certain model. I say,buy any 2 stroke mower you may come across if the price is right or "free" which is even better! These things are not hard to trade for or resell should you get bored with it or want a different model. Although it seems many who now own them cherish them for what they are and like me will hold onto what they own until I'm too old to stand upright. Might even grab a few more models between now and then!

• mrcorey5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I already caught the bug, I am biddng on one at ebay. I seen a lawn boy rider there.It didn,t come with a deck or motor.To bad lawn boy didn,t build it with a 2 stroker.It would be cool to have a rider that sounded like a bass boat.

• echoman
    16 years ago

A 340 or 440 air cooled SLED engine with some tuned pipes and stingers on the end would fit well. Who needs a mower deck? lol

• mrcorey5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

YOU are my kind of people! I really appreciate the answers and feedback I have got from this forum, you guys are great!While we are out in left field,Who'is in for building a 1/2 ton 4x4 Lawn Boy proto-type truck? The only 2 stroke motor that would be big enough that I can think of would be the detroit deisel, but maybe there is a 250 hp boat motor that could be retro-fitted. Grabber green with the commercial orange powdercoated wheels fitted with turf tires.Even outfit it with a back-up dash mounted pull cord .lol On to a more serious note, what blade have you guys had the best luck with? I seen one at tractor supply that had jagged edges cut on the back side of the blades for mulching,and if I used a muching blade, would I need to change my bagger cover plate

• indy452
    16 years ago

Lawnboy made a two stroke rider called a loafer.

It had a d-400 or "C" series engine that propelled the machine and another D or C engine in back with a deck on it doing the cutting.
    Pretty wild setup actually.

I like the "Gator" style blade like the one you described.
    I mulch, bag, side discharge, whatever with them and really like the way they work.
    You would need a mulching attachment for true mulching.
    Very plentiful on e-bay and the Lawnboy dealer should have them on hand.

Wait a second if you have an 8241 it should have the blade clutch and the big flat muffler. You will need a special blade because of the different blade bolt on pattern.

Does the 8241 look like this one?
    If so these are better suited for side discharge or bagging.

{{gwi:139240}}

• mrcorey5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That mower pictured is almost a dead ringer except for the pull cord.As far as muffler I know I have a pancake style.I guess that leaves me bidding on a bagger set-up. I am bidding on ebay for a commercial 4.5 silver series.It is a 2 stroker. The guy told me that I could buy it now at the price of 100.00. It looks good but I don't Know much about the silver series. If one of you could take a look at it on ebay and give me an idea as if it is worth a 7 hour road trip to buy it, I would appreciate it greatly.I am courious as to how old it is and what it sold for new.It will not be hard to spot in the lawn boy listings. It has "easy much" casted in the bagger cover. I appreiate any help. Also where your sticker says clucth, mine says electric start and I don't see the clutch mechanism that yours has. But that in a very well kept machine you have!

• echoman
    16 years ago

From what I looked up, the 8241ae was not a BBC model in 84' or 85'. I personally wouldn't drive 7 hours for a V series mower. They are the least sought after model, though a good running unit, and will do it's job. Seems this model as many, is more apt to give up the ghost on ignition coils. I actually picked up a 10201 and 10304(self propelled) from a local repair shop for little money to help him clean up his storage area. They both needed carbs cleaned/rebuilt, and the 304 needed a new coil. They both run well though. You should try and look for a commercial model, almost of any year. Those are fun to collect and use(as one sees fit). Good luck!

• indy452
    16 years ago

My bad. I thought all 8241's were BBC. The one in the pic is an R8241, it has the clutch and a different muffler than most "F" series engines.

In the case of the mulching blade, That gator style blade would be well suited for your machine with a mulch plug.

I would not drive for or give that much for a "V" series either.

Now for this one I might.

Neal

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweeeeeet commercial Toro

• mrcorey5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the advise. I had my bid at 50.00,someone bidded it at 51.00, I went to 55 and as soon as I comfirmed my bid, some one had set up something to automatically over bid me by one dollar.I stopped at 70.00. I didn't know that bidding could be done that way.Kinda made me want to go pick it up for 100.00 just to get back at Mr. auto bidder. But I really don't need another mower that bad. A year ago I bidded on a 40 foot twin diesel cabin cruiser boat. I had the only bid at 2050.00 for 6 days - 30 seconds before the auction closed, I was beat by one dollar!Ebay can be a cruel world. I think the only real winners are the ones who pay a reasonible buy it now price.Anyways, that blade - clutch option that is pictured is the first that I have seen on a push mower, I am guessing that is a very rare machine. Also Does anyone know if you can buy touch-up paint (grabber green)?

• lbpod
    16 years ago

An earlier post in this thread spoke of a Lawnboy truck.
    Well, on TV there is a commercial for Windstream,
    (a cable TV provider), and they show an old Chevy
    pick-up going down the highway and it is Lawnboy green.
    Very nice.

• mrcorey5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think I just flushed $30 on a oem blade 3-n-1 It looks just liek mine.Do I need the mulch cover to make it work like a mulcher?

• echoman
    16 years ago

Yes. You need the mulch plug so the clippings will be recycled through the deck many times before exiting the bottom of the deck not the side chute. When mulching especially, make sure the speed control is set to "normal" position. You need full engine speed/power to mulch properly. Also, don't try and tackle anything too steep and deep with the mower while mulching. It's only a 4hp engine. If it's bogging or struggling constantly, it will likely be overheating and may be short lived. MHO.

• gearup
    16 years ago

Fellas,

I'm a L-B enthusiast in central IN. I'm about to repower a Bolens 'Lawn Keeper' using an E-start "F" engine for a neat,different swap meet vehicle. Additional changes include using a weighted pully to enhance the torque a bit and a small Mikuni carb to offer better throttle response and lower idle rpm.
    This project will begin soon....I'll post some pics then.
    Regards,

Sam in IN

• cloudcroft
    16 years ago

Echoman, I'm interested in how you installed the top recoil on your Lawnboy. I have an 8243AE1 that I would like to be able to pull start, but I don't know where to start, or what parts I would need that would fit this model. Any help and advice would be appreciated.

• indy452
    16 years ago

Sam, You let us know on a new thread how this project goes.

I'd love to hear more about the mikuni carb swap and the pully thing.

Best wishes, Neal

• echoman
    16 years ago

I can't remember exactly what model I took the recoil off of. It was a S21ZPN or something like that. You need the recoil, starter cup and maybe 12-16 small flatwashers for each screw to get the proper clearance away from the top of the cup from the bottom of the recoil. If you don't use the fuel tank, you'll have to snip the plastic ear tabs off of the stock tank so the new style recoil lays flush. The set up works well for me and should for you as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:139239}}

• cloudcroft
    16 years ago

Thanks for the reply,echoman. I'll get busy looking for parts.

• gearup
    16 years ago

Sorry,guys,I didn't mean to hijack this thread(but I did...).I was just enjoying the fact that there's
    some good discussion about the L-B's. I'll post appropriately about my hybrid vehicle...

Regards,
    Sam in IN

• mrcorey5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The gator blade is fantastic! I hit the factory edge with a stationary belt sander,and now it feels like I added 1 hp.Ihavn't changed the cover yet but it still vaporizes grass clippings. 2 thumbs up!

• mrcorey5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

After looking on ebay at LB,sI think the the 8241ae's are one of the best looking LB,s. I seen on ebay that someone is selling what he thought was a 4 stroker but turns out that it,s a rare oil injected model.Also, can anyone quick school me on what the silver series, v/ series and gold series models are and what is crap or collector? In short' what year or model had the best engine?

• svsroger_aol_com
    12 years ago

I just received a 1991 lawnboy model S21ESR, electric start and selfpropelled, I didnt get any manuals, recharger or anything other than machine with it , my aunt passed away and I inherited it, I think the battery is dead, or no good, can I recharge it? do I need the battery to use the machine? cant I just use the pull start rope? cant afford a battery, just want to use it without one.or recarge the one thats in it.
    Thanks

• Matt Kinzer
    last year

I just picked up an 8241ae today and from the research ive done it looks as though a new battery kit will cost me 200+ Are there any cheaper options and possible how to videos?