SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wxman81

Ongoing Bentgrass Project

wxman81
16 years ago

Update on my Penncross creeping bentgrass project on which I am eventually overhauling all my grass to creeping bentgrass.

My half of the front yard is now 100% overseeded and germinated with creeping bentgrass (I live in side by side ranch condo). The top half (by house) was planted Monday July 2, and the bottom half was planted Friday, July 6. If you read my previous thread, I mowed really short, power dethatched, and spread a layer of top soil then seeded the bentgrass. Here are some pictures of what it looks like this evening.

Here are closeups of the seedlings.

{{gwi:108863}}

{{gwi:108864}}

{{gwi:108865}}

Here are some distant shots. You can see the first part (by the house) and second part pretty clearly.

{{gwi:108866}}

{{gwi:108867}}

Now I need some opinions. I didn't kill off the other grass first, mainly because if the bentgrass failed to germinate or whatever, my yard wouldn't be a complete failure. (My complex reasoning). You can see the other grass (I have no clue what it is) coming back through the topsoil and mixed in with the bentgrass. I've had no problems establishing the bentgrass, even during some mild bouts of heat... I have been watering 3x a day for 10 mins at 10 am, 2 pm, 6 pm. Soil has stayed wet all day. Germination has looked decent as you can see from the pictures.

Now to the fun part... seeing as its working thus far, I plan on doing the backyard around August 15th (backyard is full sun, no shade to help me keep it moist like the front yard). Should I do what I did in the front yard, or should I roundup everything August 1st, thatch out the out stuff, spread the soil, and seed August 15th... basically what I want to happen is the bentgrass to overpower the existing lawn (I will keep mowing it really short to what bentgrass likes). If I can get away from the roundup, that would be my preferred method, but if the front lawn won't eventually convert to 100% bentgrass on its own, I guess I will do the back lawn the other way and kill all the existing.

Ok, give me your best answers!! :)

Comments (11)