SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wxman81

Ongoing Penncross Creeping Bentgrass Backyard Project

wxman81
16 years ago

For those of you that weren't here last year or don't remember, here is a link to my thread last year when I redid my backyard to Penncross Creeping Bentgrass:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/lawns/msg0800293317869.html

Now that the snow is finally beginning to melt (haven't seen any of my backyard since the Dec 1st storm), its time to start thinking about what to do this year. We've had record snowfall this winter (over 100"), and I don't know if thats taken a toll or not on my young grass plants. Here are some pictures of what it looked like from late October last year:

{{gwi:82444}}

{{gwi:81473}}

{{gwi:81471}}

Now I went out and snapped some pictures just now. It looks like a mess!!!

{{gwi:81464}}

{{gwi:82445}}

{{gwi:82446}}

{{gwi:82447}}

{{gwi:82448}}

First picture gives you a sense of what still HAS to melt. Looks like some circular spots in the last picture. No clue what it is. I was planning on putting down 1 to 1.5 lbs of nitrogen per square foot as soon as top growth starts again, which should be late March, early April. It usually is snow free by this time, so top growth might be delayed.

Next plan of action is to slowly put down some sand in lower areas to try to level the lawn. I will be doing this throughout the course of the year at 1/4" to 1/2" layerings.

But I'm wondering if I'm just freaking out for no reason and the yard will come back full force, or do I need to do something now to prevent any plant death? Thanks guys.

Comments (4)