SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wxman81

Snow Mold / Fertilizer Coorelation

wxman81
16 years ago

I've seen numerous reports about snow mold problems and it being attributed to fertilizing too late in the season. I can attest to that as my yard was riddled with snow mold this spring. You are supposed to put down winterizer after top growth stops so that the nitrogen is used to build a deep root system to winter over with. Here's the problem. (At least the problem I encountered last year):

Top growth didn't stop until mid November here. I was mowing my Penncross bentgrass every 2-3 days all the way until then. So I applied my winterizer, and thought all is well. Well less than two weeks later it snows and STAYS until mid March. Snow melts, and viola! Snow mold everywhere. What from? The nitrogen application in November!

I'm thinking about dropping my last fertilizer in mid October and that being it! Top growth growing after that or not, I think we are contributing to our spring problems by dropping nitrogen too late in the year. This is especially true for people where snow is constant for most of the winter. (Generally Chicago, IL and north). I keep hearing people say the last application should be mid-November up to Thanksgiving.

I dunno, I may be wrong here, but I'm just starting to put two and two together and I think we could have less winter problems if we don't drop any nitrogen after mid-October. Drop it then, let the grass use it (it's still building roots in October...it knows winter is coming). I think you want the nitrogen gone by Thanksgiving so the snow mold can't use it against you!!!

Comments (14)