SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yiranhu

Will redo my lawn in the fall... what is the best option

yiranhu
11 years ago

Hi all,

I'm a new homeowner in the southeastern area of michigan. The house I bought has a lawn that has been neglected for a couple of years. I also found out that the soil in my yard underneath the sod is essentially sand and gravel (lots small rocks!). I have decided to reseed the lawn in the fall. But before I do that, I want to figure out what is the best thing to do. The yard is not big... About 2500 sqft of actual lawn areas.

I have been reading various things on the web and I have came across the following possibilities. If some of these are nonsense, please forgive my ignorance...

1. Put couple of inches of topsoil/compost on top of the current lawn (which is essentially all dead) and reseed. This seems to be a little bit problematic when the roots of the current lawn and weeds in there decays...

2. Use herbicide to completely kill everything and then till the existing lawn to mix the roots into the sand underneath. Add topsoil and then seed. This options seems reasonable but still has the problem of decays.

3. Remove all the turf and then remove couple of inches of sand and gravel and then refill with good topsoil and then seed. This is the option I like most but it is also the most work/most expensive.

If there are more practical methods or some advice on how to do this properly, please let me know!

Thanks so much for any help!!

Yiran

Comments (2)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH