SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patplh99

Does my landscaper's approach make sense?

patplh99
11 years ago

Hi, I've been tormented by my lawn for 2 years now. It was beautiful when we moved in, but after I followed the advice of a friend "oh, don't water it, it'll all grow back fine". I opted not to waste water and it never grew back. I had another baby and we just didn't have the funds or time to deal with it until recently. We have now hired someone to dethatch, add loam(in some more desperate areas) and overseed our lawn. The first part of the project was to modify the grade, which has been completed. We also dethatched a week ago. My issue is the ridiculous amount of weeds in our yard. He tells us that we should move forward, add loam, overseed and wait for the grass to grow in and then, next year, deal with the weeds (using a broadleaf weed killer). I have a hard time with this approach because it seems impossible for seed to grow when our lawn is covered with weeds. I'll upload a few pictures.. there are 4 major weeds we are dealing with ..

1) one that has a short root, but spreads through seeds, i guess. easy to pluck out of the ground, but have spread to the point where i can't do it by hand. close up pic #1

2) one with a spider root system that grows longer stalks with, what appears to be, flowers/pollen sacs on top - close up pic #2

3) crabgrass pic #3

4) white clover

I've added pictures to help explain . Does this approach make sense or should we deal with the weeds now? I'd hate to have to do this all over again after all we've been through. also, I have 2 young children, so I'd like to take care of this as safely as possible. Is it true that the typical broadleaf weed killer is safe enough for kids or should I look into more 'organic' options.

thanks for your help. i should have posted a long time ago, but I was trusting our landscaper. However, today, I walked out to start pulling weeds manually, and was overwhelmed with tears because the patches I already cleared (about 12 hrs of work) are now covered again.

Patty

Comments (9)