SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
corky71

New lawn over old?

corky71
10 years ago

We just bought a house a few months ago and I've had a green thumb ever since, although admittedly I don't know too much about lawn care. I have done lots of google searches and without fail this site would pop up with more answers than any other. I love the friendly knowledge that is shared here.

I have managed to get my front lawn looking pretty good and thought I would have the same luck with my yard but its been quite the opposite.

I have decided to start from scratch and plant a new lawn. Through my searches it seems almost everyone has a different method of eliminating the current grass. My question is what is the simplest way to do this without spending too much money on renting equipment (I know most here don't suggest tilling anyway)? I don't mind doing all the labor and rather spend my money on quality seeds/soil prep etc.

Is it possible to cut it really low, use round-up on the entire lawn, then re-seed? If so should I cover it with a mulch or soil first or do it after seeding?

I was thinking of going with a tall fescue/KBG mix or all tall fescue.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

Comments (7)