SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lablues

Which push mower, Toro, Lawn Boy, Honda?

15 years ago

Since moving into my new home last summer, I've gone through a couple of mowers. First was a reel mowers that worked pretty well(got mocked by the neighbors), but one of the handles ended up snapping off. Then, I decided to move onto a corded electric mower and got a refurb Black and Decker MM875. It's worked fairly well, but am now gettin quite frustrated mowing because it bogs down every few feet, whenever it hits a patch of slightly taller grass. Also ran over the cord a few weeks ago and had to go buy another 150' cord. I've decided to give up this green idea and get a gas-powered propelled push mower.

I have a fairly small lawn, After reading this forum and looking around at HD and Lowe's, I had narrowed the field down to the Toro 20066/20067($349 and $399), Honda HRR2165VKA($429), HRX 2172VKA($629), and the John Deere JS45($479 on clearance). I was interested in the JS45 because of the caster front wheels, but then I read a lot of negative reports on here about John Deere push mowers.

Read a lot of positive reports of the Lawn Boy mowers, but they weren't available at HD/Lowe's. Finally went to a local mower dealer today and saw a bunch of them. They had the 10686($439 w/electric start), 10687($399 w/BCS), 10695($449-Honda), 10697($499 w/BCS), 10795($569-cast alum Honda). Additionally, they had a Toro Super Recycler 20054 for $549.

Now, I'm confused as to what I need and what's really important. Longevity to me(beyond the warranty period) is not as big a deal to me because I wouldn't mind buying another new mower in 3-4yrs with newer technologies and I'll probably be moving in another three yrs anyway.

Is it that important to have an aluminum or poly carb deck, or Honda engine?

I think either the electric start or BCS would be a nice feature, since I have to stop periodically to remove golf balls(I know I should survey the lawn beforehand to remove them). It would be nice to have a relatively quiet engine, though the Lawnboy 10795 they started up for me in the shop wasn't all that silent(indoors though).

Thoughts, recommendations?

BTW, I can get a 10% military discount over 4th of July from HD and Lowe's.

Comments (13)