SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jmbfin

Toro 20057, Lawn Boy 10795, John Deere JS40

jmbfin
17 years ago

I need your input. I will be purchasing one of these lawn mowers within the next week or two. The John Deere is not in the same league as the other two mowers however I can get a display model for only $400 so I am considering it.

There seems to be more negative than positive about JD push mowers though some owners are completely satisfied. I think a strong point of the JD is the OHV Briggs and Straton engine with the weak point being the drive system. It also has not been noted to be one of the better mulchers.

The Toro 20057 Super Recycler has the B&S Intek Pro engine whereas the Lawn Boy 10795 has the Honda GCV 160. In the real world, how do these two engines compare? I think the Intek has more commercial qualities about it than the Honda but again, I need some feedback from those of you who are familiar with these engines.

I spoke with a dealer today and was told the drive system in the Lawn Boy is unique this year. It allows the mower to be pulled back without any resistance whereas the Toro would give minimal resistance. The LB seems to have more "features" than the Toro. It has the folding handle, foam hand grip, adjustable handle length, rolled mower deck which supposedly helps with the hi-vac deck style to improve mulching.

Anyway, the Lawn Boy's repair record is not as good as the Toro. The Toro is a proven machine. The JD is questionable. What are your inputs and opinions?

Comment (1)