SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brettn_10_gw

Gross Lawn Rehab; fixing weeds, compaction, rodents, etc.

brettn_10
12 years ago

Well, here we go. I'm a novice so I would appreciate any input form the veterans here. I realize that certain topics are subject to much debate, and I don't have any vested interest in anything, so I hope this thread remains civil.

Background:

KBG blend sod installed very late last fall, didn't even have time to mow it once before the snow. Was also scrambling to get it in, but tried to at least do a bit to make it successful.

Had a soil test done.

{{gwi:101467}}

Problem is that I didn't really have the knowledge or budget to completely fix the issues and a wife that was really anxious to get rid of the dirt.

I wasn't too stupid to realize that I was dealing with hard pan clay with almost no organic material. The builder had taken all the sub soil from road construction and piled it on the building lots. Thanks for that!!! I proceeded to get several loads of dairy compost delivered to the lot and spread it about 1/2" thick over the entire 5,000sf of lawn space. The had a tractor with attachment come in and work it into the top couple inches of clay, and smooth the dirt at the same time to get ready for sod.

I then installed the sod and started watering as recommended by the sod farm until the frost came. Snow came so early in 2010 that there was just no time to prepare for it. It melted off a couple times to completely green lawn underneath. My guess is that the plants didn't have time to go dormant. We had green trees with snow on them. Weird! Then we proceeded to have one of the heaviest snow and wet spring years on record.

Fast forward to spring 2011:

Snow melts and I've got two immediate problems. Due to not cutting the lawn before snow I've got an insane amount of snow mold. Could've seen that coming if I'd known then that mold loves high Ph.

Next I have VOLES like crazy. Some of the yard is so tracked out that there is simply no grass left. But at this time it just won't stop raining, which is strange in the mountain deserts, and the clay soil is so unstable that walking on the lawn leaves large prints.

So I wait for it to dry out finally, and there has been so much erosion, settling, and frost damage that I don't think I could've intentionally made a more rutted and bumpy lawn. Hard to even push a drop spreader over it and the mower is jumping like crazy.

So now I've got a horrible looking lawn with lumps, ruts, and tracks, completely overgrown with snow mold, and huge dirt patches that just won't fill in. And to top it all off, once the sun came out I found out that the compost was infested with weed seed. I know this because the neighbors used the same compost on only a small section of there lawn to level it a bit; same weeds in that spot only. SWEET!!! Now I've got a weed garden throughout the yard, and the words "pre emergent" had somehow never found their way to my ears.

So I did a bunch of research and poured over this forum, and I think I have a...

Comments (29)