SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nc_lawn_nut

help me make seed choice. kbg or tttf???

nc_lawn_nut
15 years ago

Need help in deciding which seed I will use for my Fall lawn project.

The background: I bought a house with a neglected lawn and aerated and heavily seed with a KBG + TTTF mix in March of this year. I live in central NC. My backyard which has more shading has done quite well and just needs continued feedings and an over-seed this fall. My front yard looks better than the weed pit that it used to be but not even close to my liking. If my front yard looked like my back yard I would be in business. My front yard gets FULL sun all day with next to no shade. I think if I kept over-seeding and spot weeding, I would eventually get a decent lawn but I want to scrap what I have and start fresh.

I put down 2+ inches of compost blend soil this spring so I have a good foundation for whatever seed I choose. I also have an irrigation system.

At this point I antcipate killing the front lawn, aerating and starting over. So, what seed do I use? At this point I have strongly considered the Galaxy blend from seedland. I am also thinking of just doing the off-the-shelf Southern Gold from Scott's as my last house did well with that. Another thought is using midnight II and moonlight KBG in a 50/50 mix.

After seeing Auteck's lawn, that's the result I am pursuing. He lives in the same town I do but I still wonder how the KBG over a longer period of time.

So, given that it's hot as stink down here in the summer, is the TTTF going to be the safer bet but not look as good? Or, is the KBG going to be just fine and I am over thinking my choice. I don't want to make the wrong choice and lose another year.

The cost difference is not my concern but the lawn survivability is.

Comments (7)