SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
r_andersen_gw

Help with turf choices for new lawn

r_andersen
16 years ago

I live in NY (Long Island) which I believe is zone 6b. I have a 10,000 sq ft lawn that I plan to kill with round up soon and reseed this fall and I could use some recommendations on turf types.

Right now I'm on the fence about a total KBG lawn and a TTTF and KBG mix. The lawn has a few mature trees around the perimeter so some areas see a decent amount of shade. Also, the back gets a lot of foot traffic so wear resistance is important. I would say 50% of the lawn see's over 6 hours of direct sun while 35% sees 3-4 hours of direct sun with the small remainder seeing only 2 hours or so.

I was thinking the TTTF/KBG mix would be the best since the TTTF would be better in the shadier areas. I'm afraid that a total KBG lawn will not do well because of the shade.

Also, is there a noticable difference in appearance (color, blade thickness) between KBG and the newer TTTF? I was even considering a total TTTF lawn but I'm not sure if it can look as good as a KBG lawn?

Any advice would be really appreciated. And if anyone could provide some recommendations for specific cultivars that would be great.

Thanks,

Rob

Comments (10)