SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debabrata15

Need Help with Patchy Lawn - 3 weeks from Seeding a new Lawn

debabrata15
8 years ago

Hello Experts,
I am new here. Both, in this forum and growing a new lawn by seeding. We live in Livermore, CA. We used Scott's lawn starter fertilizer, followed by turf builder tall fescue mix.
Good Part: We are into 3 weeks today and we see a lot of grass.
Bad Part: It looks very patchy. I am attaching some pictures taken from multiple angles. Top view is really patchy with patches without grass all over the lawn.
Side view is Ok good. Not what I wanted or expected though.

My questions are:

1) Is it too soon to be worried ?

2) If not, then how should I fix ?

Option 1: Look for the patches, till them lightly, resow the seeds, put some topsoil on them and water. And wait for next 3 weeks ? When should I start doing this ? But again, there are so many of those tiny small patches scattered all over the lawn. Is it realistically possible to even till them and sow ?

Option 2: Regardless of the patches, just add some Lawn food. But when ? I did add starter fertilizer the first time around.

Option 3: Can I walk on the grass already ? If not, how am I supposed to reach to the patches ? I am concerned that If I walk on them, some newly germinated seeds will stick to my slippers and get more scattered. I am not sure if they are ready to be mowed yet.

Thanks for your help.

Deb

Comments (8)