SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
toopiddog

Need to re-seed New England lawn, looking for help

toopiddog
15 years ago

I want to say up front I know very little about lawns and trying to educate myself, so I hope I can get some help from you all to point me in the right direction.

I live in Massachuestts and live on a hill that was partially excavated to place the house years ago. We are surrounded by new forest (mix of pines turning to hardwood) that developed after farming was stopped decades ago. Four years ago we had the side cleared of some trees and rocks to make an even slope for a side lawn. The landscaper put in a lot of fill/loam. The lawn was hydroseeded, but never took, like there was no seed in the mix. They came back and reseeded and it did grow, but the root structure was very shallow 50% of the grass didn't last through the winter. The next summer we pretty much did nothing and let it be, sort of half grassed. Last spring I re-seeded with a basic shade/tough mix from the store and it did grow in OK. Once again I have a large dead area with just some grass. I do fertilize in spring and fall, but I don't want to use too much. There is an area in the upper part that still has grass, which is shadier but had less fill, so I'm tempted to think the loam fill is part of the problem.

Helpful information:

-The soil is acidic, I know my well water is pH 5.1.

-The area is shady and there are a mix of pines/oak/maple on the border.

-I don't care WHAT grows there, as long as it is green, my kids can play on it and my hillside doesn't wash away

I am considering trying a white clover & grass mix to reseed, since I'm not sure if the soil is nutrient poor and maybe the nitrogen from the clover will help.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH