SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michael303

Help Choosing Seed for Zone 5/6 Renovation. KBG or Even Bentgrass?

Michael H
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I'm planning a renovation starting in August and I'm hoping to get some feedback and suggestions on a seed to choose.

I'm in a Denver suburb in zone 5B or 6A depending on which map you look at. My lawn is only about 1400 sq ft front and back so cost of seed and ongoing maintenance hours is relatively minor. I can mow and trim in about 15 min. I also have a sprinkler system.

I assume the grass currently in the lawn is original from 1978 and it's not bad but it's not great. What I'd like, and I'm sure I'm not alone here, is a dense and lush green lawn. A bonus would be if it adapted well to short mowing, just because I like how that looks.

I'm sure KBG would be a great choice and it's the most common in my area. I'm not sure if a single strain would be appropriate or if a blend would be better. Either way a specific recommendation would be great or even just a vendor I could call and talk to.

I would also be open to bentgrass. I've seen a couple bentgrass lawns here and they look amazing. I'm not sure what kind of work that would involve though so maybe I just need to be talked out of it. Maybe I can get something close to that with KBG. My lawn does butt up against the neighbor's lawn so I do have to consider how their grass might affect mine and vice versa.

I've attached a quick pic of the front from Google maps so you can get an idea of the size. Any feedback is appreciated!

Comments (9)