SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jusncsu82

New Bermuda Lawn; Can I Use Remainder of Starter Fertilizer

jusncsu82
9 years ago

Hi Everyone:

I'm located in Smithfield, NC (20 mins south of Raleigh). I seeded Bermuda on May 24, 2014 (Pennington Triangle Blend). Prepped soil, spread seed, Scotts Starter Fert (24-25-4), spread compost over top, watered. I didn't get a soil test (I will before next season). The seeds started germinating around May 31st. The grass has spread pretty good over the yard. I've continued watering the yard (backed off to 2 times a day now 7am and 4pm, 30 mins each time) and I am still getting germination/spreading. The weather here has been 90+, upper 60's/70s at night, with sporadic rain. I've been thinking about backing off the water, but I'm still getting germination in bare spots. Considering this, should I continue with the water until everything has spread to where I want it? Also, I have a good amount of starter fertilizer left that I've been thinking about spreading. figure it could help the newly germinating seeds; however, I don't want to hurt the grass that has already sprouted. I've got the Bermuda Bible, plus some literature from local university (NC State Ag Dept) and both recommend going to just nitrogen. Should I proceed with the nitrogen only, or is it okay to finish off the bag of starter I have and then go to the nitrogen only in 4-6 weeks? I'm new to this, and any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

This post was edited by jusncsu82 on Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 10:00

Comments (8)